Try these 4 Chromebook maintenance tasks to keep your Chromebook running smoothly
Try these 4 Chromebook maintenance tasks to keep your Chromebook running smoothly:
Clear Synced Tabs
Chrome sync saves your tabs, bookmarks, extensions, and other settings, but all this stored data can slow down your device. Reset your sync regularly.
- Click the tile on Symbaloo.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page.
- Click blue button for Reset Sync.
Clear Files Saved on the Chromebook
Chromebooks have very little local storage. A few saved pictures can slow down the device. It is recommended that you move downloads and saved files from the Chromebook to the Google Drive.
- Open the Launcher. Press magnifying glass key or click on open circle in the corner of the Chrome Shelf
- If you see Files app icon, open it. If not, type "Files" in the search bar and then open Files app.
- Look in Downloads Folder - you may see files, screencaptures, images and/or pictures taken with the device camera.
- Delete files you don't need - select the files and then click backspace key.
- Move files you want to keep to Google Drive - drag files to Google Drive
Clear Cache & Cookies
Students are not able to clear browsing history. This is a district device. Browsing history is not private and may be reviewed at any time.
- There are two recommended ways to get to Clear Browsing Data:
Click 3 vertical dots (upper right corner), select History & select History again
OR use keyboard shortcut by pressing: "Control" + "H"
- Click Clear Browsing Data from the left side menu
- A popup window will appear. Change the time range to 4 weeks or All Time and then select boxes for both basic and advanced.
- Click Clear data.
Update your Chromebook OS
- Open the Status area on the Chrome Shelf (this is where you see the battery icon and time)
- Click on the Settings Cog
- Click "About Chrome OS"
- Click "Check for Updates"