12/31/21: Updated COVID-19 Quarantine Guidance
Note: TCPHSS clarified the guidance below on 1/6/2022 - Read the Interim Guidance >>
Greetings NTPS Staff & Families,
Today we received new COVID-19 quarantine guidance for K-12 schools from Dr. Abdelmalek, health officer for Thurston County Public Health. This new guidance is based on updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Washington State Department of Health. The school communication flow chart is NOT yet updated but will be soon. Meanwhile, Thurston County guidance is as follows, starting 12/31/21:
COVID-positive: Isolation guidance remains 10 days from symptom onset or a positive COVID-19 test if asymptomatic.
CLOSE CONTACT FROM SCHOOL EXPOSURE
Quarantine guidance will vary depending on when/if you got your vaccination and/or booster.
Vaccinated within last 2-6 months and booster:
- Vaccinated students and staff who have received their COVID booster dose or are within 6 months of getting an mRNA vaccine series (Pfizer/Moderna) or within two months of receiving the Johnson & Johnson vaccine do not need to quarantine but should wear a mask for 10 days after exposure to a positive COVID-19 case. A COVID-19 test on day 5 is recommended.
Vaccinated more than 2-6 months ago and no booster:
- Students may either quarantine at home for five days after exposure and engage in strict mask wearing for an additional five days OR participate in the Test to Stay protocol where available.
- Staff are required to quarantine for five days and then follow strict mask use for another five days when around others.
Unvaccinated, not fully vaccinated, or not boosted and vaccinated more than 2-6 months ago:
- When there is a household exposure, individuals described above are to quarantine for the isolation period of the positive household COVID-19 case and an additional quarantine period (see below), so long as they remain asymptomatic.
- Additional quarantine options for individuals who are not fully vaccinated or unvaccinated are 1) 10 days from last exposure OR 2) 7 days from last exposure if they are asymptomatic and have proof of negative test on or after day 5.
- Test to stay remains an option for qualifying students who were exposed to COVID-19 at participating schools.
- If symptoms do occur after exposure, individuals should immediately quarantine until a negative test confirms symptoms are not due to COVID-19.
Test to Stay applies only to students who are asymptomatic and not fully vaccinated. A signed parent/guardian consent form (see Skyward) will be required for close contact students to participate.
NTPS students/staff can get a free COVID-19 test at ESD 113 in Tumwater. Rapid tests are given to students who show symptoms while at school and/or are close contacts. Staff may also access rapid tests at their work site. For local vaccination clinics, visit the Thurston Co. Public Health website.
Thank you for help keeping our schools safe for everyone so that we may continue in-person learning!
-NTPS Community Relations