Return to Headlines
Board Meeting Highlights from June 20, 2023
Highlights from the June 20, 2023, School Board meeting:
- The Board recognized Big Brothers Big Sisters of Southwest Washington for their partnership in our peer mentor program. Thanks to our collaboration, we matched 22 high school mentors with middle school mentees in the 2022-23 school year!
- The NTPS Multicultural Advisory Council selected:
- Sayuri Castaneda, senior community engagement manager at TwinStar Credit Union, to receive the 2023 Dick Williams Award. The award honors someone who works to promote mutual respect and dignity through the acceptance of ethnic cultural, developmental, and/or academic diversity in NTPS. A River Ridge High School graduate, Sayuri has been an inspiration and a powerful leader for our Community Cafés. She has great compassion, love, and care for our youth, especially for our Hispanic youth who, like her, have come to this country with infinite dreams and the determination to make them a reality. In addition to the café work, Sayuri instructed all North Thurston High School English Language Learner (ELL) students in the very first sessions of financial education seminars.
- River Ridge High School senior Ryder Kalama to receive the 2023 Bonnie Evans Award. The award honors a student who has made a significant difference in their school and/or community around diversity and equity. Ryder served on the RRHS Principal’s Student Advisory Committee, presented during the school multicultural celebration on being a Native American student and his people and culture, and has spoken at several conferences about the injustices of indigenous students in the public school system.
- The Board recognized Timberline High School sophomore Loralai Finnegan, whose watercolor collage won a Juror’s Choice Award at the statewide 50th Annual Superintendent’s High School Art Show.
- The Board recognized River Ridge High School senior Jonny Mapu, the 2023 state champion in powerlifting.
- The Board recognized Nisqually Middle School band director Kim Brumbaugh, who is the Chinook Music Educators Association Educator of the Year. She is one of 22 outstanding music teachers from around the state!
- The Board recognized multiple middle and high school Career and Technical Education club teams that brought home state championships. These organizations help students gain critical business and leadership skills! (See the full list of winners and categories in the Board packet, pages 16 and 17)
- Komachin Middle School FBLA
- Komachin Middle School HOSA
- Nisqually Middle School HOSA
- North Thurston High School Esports
- North Thurston High School FFA
- Timberline High School FBLA
- North Thurston High School FBLA
- River Ridge High School Skills USA
- North Thurston High School FCCLA
- River Ridge High School FCCLA
- North Thurston High School Skills USA