I have been teaching middle school since 1992, when I graduated from St. Martin's University (as their Salutatorian) with my Education Degree. I have a Master's Degree in Curriculum Development and love that aspect of my current position. I also have four minor degrees in mathematics, social studies, history and elementary education. I have had the opportunity to teach math, reading, language arts, health and physical education - all at the middle school level. This has been a tremendous advantage working with students as I am aware of state expectations and curriculum from various subject areas. I have also had the opportunity to write state assessments and district level benchmark exams. This has greatly improved my understanding of how students are assessed and I use this knowledge to guide my curriculum. To round out my day I usually coach volleyball, basketball, soccer, and track after school. I start and end my day loving my two yellow labs, FiBi and Dozer
My schedule is:
Period 1: Math support
Period 2: Math support
Period 3: Core 7th grade math
Period 4: Core 7th grade math
Period 5: Planning period
Period 6: Core 7th grade math
Useful Links to Practice Math Skills
Hughes’ New Game Sites
- http://www.arcademicskillbuilders.com/games/division-derby/division-derby.html Division-Derby – horse racing against another while you practice division
- http://www.mathplayground.com/Decention/Decention.html Fraction Decimal & Percent Games – Practice converting between the three – Progressively gets harder.
- http://www.mathplayground.com/percent_shopping.html Figure the Final Price for items on sale.
- http://www.mathplayground.com/quick_calculate.html Order of Operations Race against time
- http://www.mathplayground.com/order_of_operations.html Order of Operations Race against time again
- http://www.mathplayground.com/ASB_SpaceRaceMultiplication.html Practice simple multiplication, using a space race format.
- http://www.mathplayground.com/buildingblocks.html Building blocks is a game site where you practice your visual special intelligence
- http://www.mathplayground.com/ASB_PenguinJumpMultiplication.html Penguin Jumper Multiplication Practice
- http://www.funbrain.com/brain/MathBrain/MathBrain.html funbrain, math progressively more difficult games to work on basic skills.
- http://www.math-play.com/integers-game.html Walk the plank adding & subtracting integers
- http://www.dositey.com/2008/addsub/Mystery11.htm Discover the mystery picture by following the order of operations at the site found above.
- http://www.xpmath.com/forums/arcade.php?do=play&gameid=12 The game above is to practice graphing on a coordinate plane.
- http://www.xpmath.com/forums/arcade.php?do=play&gameid=58 To play this game click on numbers whose product is equal to the given target number. Score as high as you can in the given time limit
- http://cemc2.math.uwaterloo.ca/mathfrog/english/kidz/order.shtml Order of operations race against time.
- http://www.mathplayground.com/spaceboyrescue.html Graphing coordinates – Space Boy Rescue
- http://emathlab.com/FlashCards/flashCards2.php Flash cards w/positive & negative numbers & all operations
- http://www.mathplayground.com/ASB_Index.html LOTS of races using basic math skills
- http://www.math-play.com/coordinate-plane-game.html Coordinate plane basketball game – see above
- http://www.math-play.com/Order-of-Operations-Millionaire/order-of-operations-millionaire.html Who wants to be a millionaire – Order of Operations
- http://www.math-play.com/integers-game.html The above game is called “Walk the plank” In it you correctly add & subtract numbers to make your teacher walk the plank into the sea.
- http://www.mathplayground.com/SaveTheZogs/SaveTheZogs.html Finding the equations for linear equations. A more advanced game.
- http://www.mathplayground.com/spaceracer_multiplication.html Multiply to make your space ship maneuver around the rocks