Welcome to Komachin Middle School!
Welcome to Komachin Middle School! We opened in 1992 and are a middle school in Lacey, Washington serving 6th through 8th grade. We have a strong academic focus, but also offer a wide variety of activites and programs.
Learn more about Komachin's history, our goals, and how the Wolf Pack is looking towards the future!
What makes Komachin unique
Komachin has a legacy of partnering with the community through a variety of learning grants, activities, and programs.
- Komachin has a strong academic focus on the integration of science, technology, engineering, and math in both the core curricular programs and through unique enrichment course offerings.
- Our PTA is very active in supporting programs and activities such as PBIS, the book fair, and multiple classroom grants.
- Taylor Shellfish, LOTT and South Sound Green help fund science and enrichment field trips.
- We are Partners in Education (P.I.E.) with Dutch Bros, Capitol City Press, and Earth Friendly Products
Goals for 2018-19
- Increased percentage of students demonstrating proficience on standards. 6th (75%); 7th (64%); 8th (74%).
Social Emotional Goal:
- Increased percentage of students demonstrating proficience on standards. 6th (64%); 7th (60%); 8th (60%).
- By the end of the 2018-19 school year, Komachin Middle School will decrease the amount of ODR’s (office discipline referral) by 10% from the previous school year.
Strategic Plan Educational Strategy Goal:
- In spring of 2019, 25% of Komachin Middle School’s special education students will meet standard on the Math Smarter Balanced Assessment. This represents a 15.48% increase over 2018 results for this group of students.
- In spring of 2019, 28.76% of Komachin Middle School’s special education students will meet standard on the ELA Smarter Balanced Assessment. This represents a 10% increase over 2018 results for this group of students.
- During the 2018-19 school year, Komachin Middle School will create consistent opportunities for student self-monitoring of learning goals.
Students participate in an annual Day of Caring by providing community service through over 30 projects in partnership with local non-profit organizations and other community agencies and businesses. Komachin is privileged to have active parents volunteering in the classroom as part of our Watch Dogs and Den Moms program. To volunteer, call our school at (360) 412-4740, or fill out an application online.
We annually host the county-wide Little Red Schoolhouse as they distribute clothing and school supplies to families in need.
Our students have developed and maintain an on-site garden where they grow and harvest food which is shared with local food banks with support from local businesses and other agencies.
Mission: “Making a difference today...to make a difference for tomorrow.” Our staff is committed to academic excellence embedded in a philosophy that supports and nurtures the whole child as we prepare them for high school and beyond. Our school is characterized as a community of learners, with integrated instruction and curriculum, personalized learning, and a quality staff dedicated to the success of all students. Smaller learning communities called Dens are organized with teams of advisors and content teachers to support the unique needs of middle school-aged students.
Komachin's Building History
Komachin Middle School was built in 1992 on 29.3 acres. It is located at 3650 College Street SE in Lacey. In 2010 as part of the City’s Mullen Road Extension project, the City upgraded the school’s parking lot and drives, creating new access and improving traffic flow for parents and staff. In 2011, energy- efficient lighting upgrades were completed in the gym utilizing state energy grant funds. In 2012, the interior and exterior were painted. The 89,360 square foot building, including 43 instructional spaces, plus 8 portable classrooms serve grades 6-8. A new roof was completed in 2016.