Welcome to Komachin Middle School!
Welcome to Komachin Middle School! We opened in 1992 and are a middle school in Lacey, Washington serving 6th through 8th grade. We have a strong academic focus, but also offer a wide variety of activites and programs.
Learn more about Komachin's history, our goals, and how the Wolf Pack is looking towards the future!
What makes Komachin unique
Komachin has a legacy of partnering with the community through a variety of learning grants, activities, and programs.
- Komachin has a strong academic focus on the integration of science, technology, engineering, and math in both the core curricular programs and through unique enrichment course offerings.
- Our PTA is very active in supporting programs and activities such as PBIS, the book fair, and multiple classroom grants.
- Taylor Shellfish, LOTT and South Sound Green help fund science and enrichment field trips.
- We are Partners in Education (P.I.E.) with Dutch Bros, Capitol City Press, and Earth Friendly Products
Academic Gap Goal:
- The percentage of all non-white students in grades 6, 7, and 8 scoring proficient or higher on the SBA Math Assessment will increase 10% as measured by the Smarter Balanced Assessment administered in the spring of 2020.
Attendance Gap Goal:
- 74 students of color were identified as chronic non-attenders during the 2018-19 school year. By June 2020, this will decrease by 20%, resulting in fewer than 60 students of color identified as chronic non-attenders.
Students participate in an annual Day of Caring by providing community service through over 30 projects in partnership with local non-profit organizations and other community agencies and businesses. Komachin is privileged to have active parents volunteering in the classroom as part of our Watch Dogs and Den Moms program. To volunteer, call our school at (360) 412-4740, or fill out an application online.
We annually host the county-wide Little Red Schoolhouse as they distribute clothing and school supplies to families in need.
Our students have developed and maintain an on-site garden where they grow and harvest food which is shared with local food banks with support from local businesses and other agencies.
Mission: “Making a difference today...to make a difference for tomorrow.” Our staff is committed to academic excellence embedded in a philosophy that supports and nurtures the whole child as we prepare them for high school and beyond. Our school is characterized as a community of learners, with integrated instruction and curriculum, personalized learning, and a quality staff dedicated to the success of all students. Smaller learning communities called Dens are organized with teams of advisors and content teachers to support the unique needs of middle school-aged students.
Komachin's Building History
Komachin Middle School was built in 1992 on 29.3 acres. It is located at 3650 College Street SE in Lacey. In 2010 as part of the City’s Mullen Road Extension project, the City upgraded the school’s parking lot and drives, creating new access and improving traffic flow for parents and staff. In 2011, energy- efficient lighting upgrades were completed in the gym utilizing state energy grant funds. In 2012, the interior and exterior were painted. The 89,360 square foot building, including 43 instructional spaces, plus 8 portable classrooms serve grades 6-8. A new roof was completed in 2016.