Welcome to Chinook Middle School!
Welcome to Chinook Middle School! We opened in 1961 and serve grades 6 through 8 in Olympia and Lacey, Washington. We have a history of excellence and strive to better our students every day. Once a Warrior, Always a Warrior!Learn more about our history, our goals, and how we have Warrior Pride.
Unique things we do at Chinook
Chinook is a very diverse community where we welcome all students, no matter their background, and strive to educate the “whole child.”Our school houses the district’s middle-level English as a Second Language and Deaf Education programs. In addition to our academic and after-school athletic programs, we have several active clubs at Chinook, including our Warrior Ecology, Robotics, and Drama Clubs. Extra academic support for students is available before and after school. Our performing arts programs are second to none—we offer outstanding choir, band, and orchestra classes that perform and compete locally.At Chinook, we are committed to the belief that it is important to teach our students to become “contributing citizens” in their community. Once a year, Chinook students and staff will join together for our “Contributing Citizen Day” and get involved in various community service projects, both on campus and around our neighborhood. Students will be volunteering at our feeder elementary schools, supporting the Healing Hearts Ranch, cleaning up and preparing local gardens for spring planting, knitting hats for newborns, and so much more.Partners in Education (P.I.E.) with U.S. Martial Arts & Lewis/Cutler Construction, Inc.
Academic Gap Goal:
- The percentage of Hispanic students meeting proficiency on the math state assessments will increase in Spring of 2020 by: 43.5% to 50% (6th grade); 39.5% to 48% (7th grade); 49% to 55% (8th grade).
Behavior Gap Goal:
- As measured by the Spring 2020 CEE data, Chinook will increase the percent positive of African American students in the area of Supportive Learning Environment from 47% (on the 2019 CEE) to 62%.
A strong home and school partnership is vital for the success of our students. We encourage you to get involved in your child’s school during these important middle school years! Here are some simple ways that you can get involved:
- Chinook Middle School has an active parent organization, PATS, that requires no joining fee. PATS meetings are held on the first Friday of every month from 9:30-10:30 am. For more information, please visit the CMS website.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences in the fall and spring.
- If you are interested in volunteering at our school, please complete the district’s online volunteer form, or visit our office for more information on how you can become actively involved in your child’s middle school experience.
Mission: “Cultivating CRITICAL THINKERS and CONTRIBUTING CITIZENS for a BETTER WORLD!” Chinook has a school-wide emphasis on reinforcing common behavior expectations we call “The Warrior Way.” Students are expected to follow the Warrior Way traits: Be Safe, Be Responsible, Be Respectful.
Chinook's Building History
Chinook Middle School was built in 1961 on 35.6 acres. It is located at 4301 6th Avenue NE in Lacey. In 2008 early site work was completed for an extensive upgrade, including the addition of an 8-classroom modular building. In 2009- 2010, a major modernization and addition was completed, utilizing 2006 bond and state assistance funds. A prominent, inviting main entry was created, allowing an abundance of natural light to shine through. The interior and exterior of the building were modernized, the commons and food services area was enlarged and illuminated with natural light, a state-of-the-art kitchen was created, all mechanical, electrical and technology were replaced or upgraded, and selective roof upgrades were completed. The 86,764 square foot building, including 36 instructional spaces, plus 17 portable class- rooms (includes 8-classroom modular build- ing) serve sixth through eighth grade.