Super Summer School NEWS:
Look at all these Superheroes! These students have been nominated by their teacher for showing our HERO traits (Helpful, Engaged, Respectful, On Task). Way to go heroes!
Logan, Hayley, Gabe, Lily, Nery, Steven, Kennadee, Franklin, Yani, Aubrey, Kila, Aspen, Victor, Jeny, Karstena, Willow, Jade, Jeny, Ariana, Lilyanna, Lila, Jayson, Kiley, Maddox, Chris, Ali, Kaylee, Jeffrey, Blake, Silas, Steffani, Rafaella, Jayson, Jayden, Addy, Alberth, Angel, Christian, Edson, Avery, Sebastian, Nery
Hello! We are approaching the finish line for Super Summer School! At this time, we want to thank our families for your support from home during this time of remote learning. We have had great attendance and participation from out students and we are pleased with their engagement and progress. It has been a great 6 weeks!
We encourage your student to continue reading 20 minutes every day to keep those reading skills sharp. Writing a story, a letter to a family member, journal entries are also great things for your student to do to keep their writing skills sharp as well.
Thank you SSS Families!
We are moving into our last half of Super Summer School! Our students are working hard and we are proud of them all! Thank you for your continued support from home!
Remember, FREE BOOKS for pick up with South Sound Reading Foundation! Click this link to go straight to their request form:
We have finished our 2nd week of Super Summer School! We are getting into a groove now, and the students are working very hard, staying engaged, and showing great patience and resourcefulness as we work through this new remote learning experience.
Students are setting goals, making new friends, and putting those literacy strategies to practice. We are proud of all of our students, and appreicate your support from home!
We had a wonderful first week of summer school with our students! We enjoyed getting to know our new classmates and teacher, meet our new principal, learn expectations for remote learning, and dove into our work on reading fluency, comprehension skills, and writing. We have a great group of eager learners and we look forward to the remaining 5 weeks with them all!
A few things that would really be helpful:
- Please make sure your student is logged on and ready to learn by 9am, including finished with breakfast.
- We would like them in a quiet space, sitting up, with a place to write.
- Please do not allow them to lay down in bed during instruction.
- If you have headphones or a headset for your student to use, it may help with less distraction.
- Please check on your student to encourage participation throughout class time.
- Please have your student stay in one place during instruction.
- Remind your student to be reading 20 minutes every day, and to write down their book titles on their NTPS Summer School Reading Log
WHO WANTS FREE BOOKS?
If you raised your hand, please direct yourself to this jotform link: Free Book Request
Once we have received your request, we'll put together a parcel of books based on your selections and will contact you when it is ready for pick up!
Books can be picked up at the South Sound Reading Foundation on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 10am and 3pm at our office: 200 Sleater-Kinney Rd. NE Olympia, WA 98506. Your books will be in a bag marked with your name on a cart outside our door. Please only take the bag with your name.
It was a great first day of Super Summer School with our students! We enjoyed spending time getting to know our new classmates and teacher(s). We even spent time with our new Principal, Mrs. Myhr singing a fun superhero song.
We are all looking forward to the next six weeks of learning and fun!
We appreciate your support familes!
It was so good to see so many of you at our Kick Off event, June 25th.
If you were unable to pick up your student's backpack, you will find it at the District Office front desk between 7:30-3:30 Monday through Friday.
North Thurston Public Schools is hosting a competition for our students this summer. We are asking students to log in the books they finish and return their log in sheet to their teacher in August for a chance at a $25 prize!
More information will be coming from your teacher.
We are Superheroes in training!
Super Summer School is North Thurston Public School's reading and writing support for identified 3rd grade students.
June 29 - August 6, 2020, Monday-Thursday, 9am-10:30am
To foster the joy of reading while strengthening reading foundational skills, comprehension skills, and writing skills in a fun and engaging summer learning environment.
Day to Day Information
Remote Learning Experience
Computer or Chrome Book required
- 9:00am - Morning Meeting with Super Summer School Class
- 9:15am - Live Instruction with Classroom Teacher using ZOOM Meeting platform
- 10:15am-Celebrations with Mrs. Myhr (Small Groups with Teachers)
- Students will be expected to read outside of class for 20+ minutes each day.
Attendance will be taken each morning at 9am. To report an absence, please email your student's teacher or our Principal Mrs. Myhr at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our teachers use evidence-based instructional strategies for both reading and writing. Classroom instruction will be broken down into the following blocks and corresponding strategies:
- Whole Group Core Reading Instruction
- Independent Practice
- Conferring with Teacher
Reading Foundational Skills:
- LEXIA - personalized learning through adaptive & engaging online reading program
- Phonics and Word Work
- Our students who speak English as a second language will receive specially designed reading and writing supports by our EL teacher