Welcome to River Ridge High School!
Welcome to River Ridge High School! We opened in 1993 and are a comprehensive high school that serves 9th through 12th grade in Olympia and Lacey, Washington.
Our Mission: We are a diverse and accepting learning community dedicated to success through academics, student involvement, leadership, and pride.
- Student Achievement aligned to Common Core State Standards and 21st-Century Skills.
- The Hawk Way: Respectful, Responsible, Honorable, Successful
- A rich variety of co-curricular activities
- Lifelong learning with a global perspective
Unique things we do at River Ridge
- New STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) Program
- UW in the High School: Students can earn college and high school credit while enrolled in our pre-calculus class.
- AVID (Advancement via Individual Determination) program, a college and career readiness program
- Advanced Placement programs offering rigorous coursework
- Excellent elective programs in the Visual and Performing Arts, Career and Technical Ed, World Languages, and Health and Fitness.
- CORE/Flex: Academic intervention and support within the school day for all students
- Intervention courses to support students struggling in English, math or science
- After school math and science tutorial program staffed with a certificated teacher, paraeducator, and peer tutors
- Taiko Drumming Ensemble
- Partnership with St. Martin’s University’s teacher education program in working with their students from their practicum through student teaching experience, to include partners in our AVID tutorial
Academic Gap Goals:
- First-year students will increase their passing rates by 14%, from 66% in June 2023 to 80% in June 2024.
- By June 18, 2023, the percentage of native students who regularly attend will increase by 20% from 4% to 24%.
Download the whole School Improvement Plan >> (PDF) Updated fall 2023
River Ridge's Building History
River Ridge High School was built in 1993 on 41.4 acres. It is located at 350 River Ridge Drive SE in Lacey. In 2002-2003, miscellaneous HVAC upgrades were completed. Pool mechanical upgrades (HVAC, boiler, and controls) were upgraded in 2004. Interior upgrades were completed in 2011.
Separate administration areas in four buildings were consolidated into one administration building, and classrooms were added, creating a more efficient use of space. The gym floor was refinished, and the hawk at the center court was newly hand-painted by a local artist. Energy-efficient lighting upgrades and selective boiler replacement were also completed utilizing state energy grant funds. The 176,222 square foot building, including 80 instructional spaces plus 3 portable classrooms, serves 9-12 grade.
In 2022, a full modernization project was begun to be completed by 2027.