Welcome to North Thurston High School!
Welcome to North Thurston High School! We opened in 1955 and are a comprehensive high school that serves 9th through 12th grade in Olympia and Lacey, Washington. We have an award-winning staff, and a slew of unique programs and opportunities for students. Go Rams!
Unique things we do at North Thurston
- Advanced Placement and advanced/honors classes in 12 areas in over 35 sections with half of our students enrolled
- Math peer tutoring program
- Award-winning marching band
- English Language Learners program serves students district-wide
- College in the High School Spanish and French classes offer college credit
- Hearing-impaired program serves students county-wide
- The Renaissance Leadership program provides academic and student recognition programs
- Student-Led Spring Conferences had over 85% parent participation in the past 2 years.
- 2009, 2013, and 2014 Washington Achievement Award Winners
- Award-winning Library and Information program
- Community service clubs partner with local Rotary, Kiwanis, MADD, Together, United Way of Thurston County, and Project Zero
- Military Support Group supports students of active duty military members and works in connection with JBLM
- Our Career and Technical Education programs connect students with industry leaders
- Partners in Education with Kevin Hayward State Farm, Foot & Ankle Surgery Associates, & Hawks Prairie Physical Therapy & Athletic Rehabilitation.
- AVID program to prepare students for college readiness and success; is offered at each grade level.
Academic Gap Goal:
Behavior / SEL Gap Goal:
- Reduce the gap between ELL and non-ELL students in grades 9-12 passing all classes to no more than 7%.
- The number of students that state on the 2020 CEE Survey "I am hopeful about my future" will increase from 52% to 65%.
We value the extremely strong support of our parents, alumni, and community. Volunteer opportunities include guest speaking, mentoring, chaperoning events, tutoring, as well as opportunities in the classroom and library to work with students. Our very active booster club supports all of our co-curricular programs and meets the second Tuesday of each month at the school. Sign up to volunteer today!
Mission: North Thurston High School is a community of learners committed to individual excellence. We empower learners by fostering an environment that promotes intellectual and emotional growth. We believe in equity and unity, while celebrating diversity. We are a safe, and caring community where all strive to learn, grow, and achieve.
North Thurston High School was built in 1954 on 38.4 acres. It is located at 600 Sleater-Kinney Road NE in Lacey.
In 1967, the auto shop and pool were added, followed by the library in 1972.In 1983-1984, the building was completely demolished and rebuilt, except for the library, autoshop, and pool. The auditorium, known today as the Koval Center for the Performing Arts, was added in 1995.A technology upgrade was completed in 1996 and an HVAC upgrade was completed in 2000. In 2003, utilizing bond and state assistance funds, the pool was modernized, due in part to severe structural earthquake damage. In 2009, the pool boiler was upgraded. Exterior building upgrades of the Koval Center were completed in 2010 utilizing state grant funds. In 2011, energy-efficient lighting upgrades were completed in the gym utilizing state energy grant funds. The 175,459 square foot building, including 67 instructional spaces, plus 16 portable classrooms serve ninth through twelfth grade.As part of the 2014 Bond, North Thurston is currently undergoing a major modernization.