Become a Paraeducator at NTPS!
What is a paraeducator?
Paraeducators are school employees who work alongside and/or under the direction of a licensed or certificated educator to support and assist in providing instructional and non-instructional services to students and their families. Also known as paraprofessionals, teacher aides, teaching assistants, and other titles, paraeducators are integral members of the instructional team.
To become a paraeducator, you must be at least eighteen years of age and hold a high school diploma or its equivalent.
In addition, a paraeducator must meet one of the following:
- Received a qualifying score on the Education Testing Service (ETS) paraeducator assessment;
- Hold an associate degree or higher from an accredited college or university;
- Earned 72 quarter credits or 48 semester credits at the 100 level or higher at an accredited college or university; or
- Completed an apprenticeship as a paraeducator in a program registered with the Washington State Apprenticeship and Training Council.
Resources for ETS Test Takers
Preparing for the ETS test
Applicants seeking employment as instructional paraeducators who do not have an associate degree or higher will have to take the ETS ParaPro Assessment test.
For information about the test, visit the ETS Test website. It includes online tutorials, sample questions, and navigation information to help you familiarize yourself with the test.
Visit the ESD 113 Para Pro Assessments page for information on test prep and other useful information.
Timberland Public Library has official ETS study guides that can be checked out with a valid library card. The study guide is called ParaPro Assessment (Test codes: 0755 and 1755).
Helpful websites for test preparation
- MySchoolHouse Courses — covers all subjects at different levels
- FunBrain Grammar — Play fun and colorful games while learning concepts
- Math Practice — includes help with basic math through advanced topics
ETS test sites, including online options
Education Service District 113
6005 Tyee Drive SW
Tumwater, WA 98512
Registration is required, and space is limited. Test dates & register on the ESD 113 website >>
Paraeducators Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to submit to Human Resources for proof of college credits or degrees?
What do I need to submit to Human Resources for proof of ETS test completion?
Where can I take the ETS test? How soon will I find out the results of my test?
What happens if I am unsuccessful at my first ETS test attempt?
What is the cost for applicants to take the test?
Have more questions?