Welcome to Salish Middle School!
What makes us unique at Salish?
- Student Voice — At Salish Middle School we encourage authentic, school wide voice to support and increase the academic and social success of all of our students. We value the strong partnerships we have between students and staff. Numerous students participate in student leadership class and in student leadership known as Associated Student Body (ASB). These students take pride in supporting numerous activities such as our Food to Flowers Program, Student Recognition Assemblies, Student activities during lunch and the complete operation of our Student Store.
- College and Career Readiness — Today’s workplace requires that all employees be lifelong learners in order to advance their careers. We have a robust advisory program which meets daily for 30 minutes and supports students’ growth and awareness of pathways for success in high school and beyond. Students engage in career interest surveys and goal setting to discover some possibilities open to them. In addition, our Career Technical Education (CTE) courses also offer students the opportunity to engage in 21st century skills which integrate technical knowledge and core academic knowledge and emphasize real life skills. We are proud to offer horticulture, robotics, wild foods and medicine, computer science, coding and technical arts.
- We are proud of being an AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) school since 2015. In addition to a specific AVID class we embrace these proven strategies which focus on a more equitable and student centered approach school wide. AVID provides classroom activities, teaching practices and academic behaviors that we incorporate into all classrooms to improve engagement and success for all students.
Academic Gap Goal:
- The percentage of Special Education students who are passing all classes in Semester 1 2021 will increase by 5% from Semester 1 2020.
Behavior Gap Goal:
- Reduce the number of office referrals for disruptive behavior for all students by 5%. In addition, reduce the number of office referrals for students with an IEP by 10% for the school.
Mission: The Salish Middle School Community, dedicated to inspiring success by cultivating a foundation of achievement through critical thinking, collaboration, persistence and compassion.
Salish's Building History
Salish Middle School was built in 2016 on 19.13 acres. It is located at 8605 Campus Glen Drive NE in the Meridian Campus Development within the City of Lacey. Construction of Salish started in 2015 utilizing a 2014 voter-approved construction bond including State assistance funding. The 109,000 square foot middle school has 47 instructional spaces and has capacity for 800 students. The building design incorporates current classroom technology and extensive daylighting features throughout the facility. Salish serves 6th, 7th and 8th grade.