Graduation Guidelines & Information
PLEASE BRING ALL LIBRARY AND CHROMEBOOKS TO GRADUATION. - We will have an area for you to drop them off!
Dear SSHS Students and Families: June 2, 2020
This document provides the necessary information you need if your student decides to attend the South Sound High School graduation ceremony on June 15th at the Koval Performing Arts Center (KPAC).
The staff at South Sound High School and North Thurston Public Schools are excited to recognize your students' success at graduation. We want you to know that we are working hard to provide, as close to possible, a traditional graduation ceremony. However, we must adhere to WA State and Thurston County guidelines as we navigate through this unprecedented time with COVID-19.
STUDENTS MUST REGISTER (sign up) TO ATTEND THE CEREMONY. Registration is completed here: GRADUATION WALK TIME REGISTRATION
Livestream starts 4:10 on South Sound HS Facebook
MASKS MUST BE WORN THROUGHOUT THIS ENTIRE PROCESS BY STAFF AND STUDENTS!
Here are the important facts of the ceremony:
- Each student must register for a graduation time slot by noon on Tuesday, June 9. If a parent is transporting their student to the ceremony, the parent/guardian will be required to stay in the vehicle at all times.
- If a student DOES NOT register for a graduation time slot, they will not be allowed to attend the ceremony.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before your student’s scheduled WALK TIME. Not earlier; not later.
Example: If Josh is scheduled to WALK at 5:15pm, arrive in the parking lot at 5:05pm.
- Students will wait in the car with their families in the parking lot until directed by a SSHS staff member to exit the vehicle and proceed to checkpoint #1. Again, ONLY the student will be permitted to get out of the car.
- Students will move through three checkpoints. Students may remove masks for photos.
Checkpoint #1: Put on cap and gown (if needed)
Checkpoint #2: South Sound High School Sign and Bulldog (photo opportunity)
Checkpoint #3: Ring bell (photo opportunity)
- Students will enter the Koval Center (KPAC) ALONE.
- At this time, the student will head to the stage to graduate.
- The only people allowed inside the performing arts center are: 1) Principal Angela Grizzle, 2) BIO Reader, 3) Photographer, 4) Technician (Lights/Music/Video) and 5) Graduate. OSPI limits to a maximum of 5 people.
- When the student walks across the stage, s/he may remove his/her mask for photos.
- After the student crosses the stage, s/he must exit the building and go straight back to their vehicles.
- Families must leave immediately after the student exits the building.
- Law enforcement will be there to help with flow and will monitor if groups start to form.
- Please plan a graduation celebration off-site at your private residences.
- Diplomas will be given at graduation.
- If the student does not attend the ceremony they can pick up at SSHS M-F 9:00 AM- 2:00 PM, before June 30th or after July 20th.
Note: It is very important that we adhere to these guidelines!
Arrive 10 minutes before your scheduled walk time.
Exceptions will not be made.
Law enforcement will be present.
Please help us celebrate everyone by abiding by the rules for our 2020 ceremony.