Welcome to South Bay Elementary!
South Bay Elementary opened its doors in 1949. We continue to foster a learning environment that encourages our Bruins to be KIND, RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE and ENGAGED. We strive to foster learning in a positive, exciting way! Welcome to the home of the Bruins!
What makes us unique
South Bay students have the opportunity to experience a wide variety of programs and activities.
We offer PTA supported:
- Back to school Ice Cream Social
- Family movie nights
- Art for Kids
- Theater workshops and a musical theater production
- Fun Run
- Annual Sock Hop
- Field Day
- Olympia Jr. Programs
- Fun Fair
Our hallways become an “Arts Walk” throughout the year as student work is showcased! Our Music students perform at assemblies, special celebrations and each grade level has a unique performance during the year. In PE, the spirit of teamwork and a lifelong love of physical activity is the emphasis. Library is the place we find meaningful books, learn to research and use technology for learning. We are so lucky to have specialists in these areas!
Other unique programs include:
- BEAR Reading Month
- Band & Orchestra for 5th graders
- After school choir program
- Safety patrol
- United Way reading buddies
- Grade Level Math nights
- Positive Behavior Program (PBIS)
- Community service projects including “Jump Rope for Heart”, Thurston County Food Bank drive, Holiday Help, and a book drive for the Reading Foundation
- Partners in Education with South Bay Veterinary Hospital, Sequoia’s Treehouse, and US Martial Arts
Academic Gap Goal:
- The percentage of low-income Kindergarten and 1st grade students scoring in the low risk category on the easyCBM letter sound fluency assessment will increase from an average of 48% to 75% by spring 2021.
- The percentage of low-income 2nd—5th graders scoring in the low risk category on the easyCBM passage reading fluency assessment will increase from an average of 64% to 75% by spring 2021.
Behavior Gap Goal:
- South Bay will increase its overall regular attenders from 56% in the 2019/20 school year to 75% in 2020/21. At this time, we do not have any major discrepancies among sub-groups but will pay close attention to our Hispanic, unhoused, and low-income populations and intervene as appropriate.
Be KIND Be RESPECTFUL Be RESPONSIBLE Be ENGAGEDThe goal of South Bay Elementary is to foster learning in a positive, exciting way so that students achieve their fullest potential. Creativity is nurtured, individuality is respected and each child gains a feeling of self-worth and accomplishment.
South Bay Building History
South Bay Elementary was built in 1949 on 17 acres. It is located at 3845 Sleater-Kinney Road NE, in a rural setting. In 1981, the original building was demolished, and a new building was attached to the 1976 addition. In 2000, the older wing was modernized, the entire building was reroofed, and upgrades were made to the library and administration area. An 8-classroom modular building was added in 2008. In 2008-2009, a major modernization to the building and campus, including additions was completed, utilizing 2006 bond and state assistance funds. All mechanical, electrical and technology were replaced or upgraded. The fire suppression system utilizes three 35,000 gallon tanks repurposed from the old Olympia Brewery. The 46,278 square foot building, including 27 instructional spaces, plus 16 portable classrooms (including 8-classroom modular building) serve kindergarten through fifth grade.