Welcome to South Bay Elementary!
South Bay Elementary opened its doors in 1949. We continue to foster a learning environment that encourages our Bruins to be KIND, RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE and ENGAGED. We strive to foster learning in a positive, exciting way! Welcome to the home of the Bruins!
What makes us unique
South Bay students can experience a wide variety of unique programs. We offer PTA supported:
Back to School BBQ, Family movie nights, “Art for Kids”, theater workshops and one musical theater production, a “Fun Run”, an annual “Sock Hop”, Field Day, Olympia Jr. Programs and the Fun Fair! Our hallways become an “Arts Walk” throughout the year as the teacher showcases the methods students are learning in Art! Our Music students perform at assemblies and special celebrations. In P.E. the spirit of teamwork and a lifelong love of physical activity is the emphasis! Library is the place we find meaningful books, learn to research and use technology for learning. We are so lucky to have specialists in these areas.Other unique programs include:
- Annual Science Expo
- Literacy Events
- Band Orchestra for 5th graders
- Community service projects like “Jump Rope for Heart”, Thurston County Food Bank drive, Holiday Help, and a book drive for the Reading Foundation
- Partners in Education with South Bay Veterinary Hospital, Sequoia’s Treehouse, and US Martial Arts.
- After school choir
- We offer a STEM specialist that has students doing a variety of problem solving, engineering, and technology experiences.
Academic Gap Goal:
- The South Bay Elementary low income 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students will increase Smart Balanced Assessment rates in English Language Arts achievement from 43% having met standard during the 2018-19 school year, to 53% meeting standard during the 2019-20 school year.
Behavior Gap Goal:
- The percentage of South Bay Elementary Hispanic students who are regular attenders will increase from 55% in the 2018-19 school year to 54% in the 2019-20 school year.
South Bay enjoys a long, rich history of parent community involvement! We have a large contingent of volunteers who consistently log hundreds of volunteer hours each month. We welcome parents, guardians, grandparents and community members!
- Our PTA “Fun Fair” has been a community tradition for many years! The PTA also raises thousands of dollars each year which supports student activities, field trips and teacher projects.
- Three Business Partners: South Bay Veterinary Hospital, US Martial Arts, and Sequoia’s Treehouse.
- Honor our families’ veterans at our Veterans Day Assembly.
- Music performances at community events.
Be KIND Be RESPECTFUL Be RESPONSIBLE Be ENGAGEDThe goal of South Bay Elementary is to foster learning in a positive, exciting way so that students achieve their fullest potential. Creativity is nurtured, individuality is respected and each child gains a feeling of self-worth and accomplishment.
South Bay Building History
South Bay Elementary was built in 1949 on 17 acres. It is located at 3845 Sleater-Kinney Road NE, in a rural setting. In 1981, the original building was demolished, and a new building was attached to the 1976 addition. In 2000, the older wing was modernized, the entire building was reroofed, and upgrades were made to the library and administration area. An 8-classroom modular building was added in 2008. In 2008-2009, a major modernization to the building and campus, including additions was completed, utilizing 2006 bond and state assistance funds. All mechanical, electrical and technology were replaced or upgraded. The fire suppression system utilizes three 35,000 gallon tanks repurposed from the old Olympia Brewery. The 46,278 square foot building, including 27 instructional spaces, plus 16 portable classrooms (including 8-classroom modular building) serve kindergarten through fifth grade.