Welcome to Horizons!
Welcome to Horizons Elementary! We serve grades K-5 in Lacey, Washington. We opened our doors in 1992 and have been helping shape successful learned ever since! Check out more information about our school below. Go Eagles!
What makes Horizons unique?
- PBIS (Positive Behaviors Intervention & Support) We focus on rewarding students for good behavior in an effort to deter poor behavior. This philosophy has significantly reduced the number of office referrals and reinforced positive behaviors.
- Character Trait Focus Some examples of traits we focus on are self-awareness, grit, gratitude, and kindness. Students are celebrated and recognized after demonstrating their monthly character traits in/out of the classroom.
- Wild About Reading For one month we choose to focus on literacy and fun. We help students develop a love of reading through events like Character Dress-Up Day, special guest readers (family members and celebrities), and our PTSA-sponsored Read-A-Thon.
- Student Leadership Team This team of students helps us with planning upcoming events or providing ideas that include spirit days.
Continuous Growth Goal:
- Second and Third Grade students who performed below the 25th percentile in the fall administration of the Easy CBM Assessment and who are enrolled in Special Education Services, will demonstrate 1.5 years growth on the Passage Reading Fluency Assessment of Easy CBM.
Empowered Learners Goal:
- Decrease the Referral Risk Index for students who identify as Black/African American or Hispanic from significantly at risk to equal risk by June 2023. At the close of the 2021-22 school year, Black/African American students were 2.23 times as likely to earn a referral compared to all students and Hispanic students were 1.53 times as likely to earn a referral compared to all students. Equal risk is defined as a Risk Index of 1.0.
Download the whole School Improvement Plan >> (PDF) Updated fall 2022
Mission: At Horizons, we recognize the diverse backgrounds of all of our students and families. We are committed to providing opportunities for every student to achieve academically, socially, and emotionally. Our vision, “Everyone a Teacher, Everyone a Learner, Everyone a Success” is lived out daily in all we do.
Horizons' Building History
Horizons Elementary was built in 1992 on 16.4 acres. It is located at 4601 67th Avenue SE. In 2009, street frontage and storm-water drainage improvements were made, a new entrance and student drop-off was created, and the parking lot was sealed. Exterior building upgrades were made in 2010, including new paint and siding and selective roof repairs. The 49,376 square foot facility, including 31 instructional spaces, plus 13 portable classrooms serve kindergarten through fifth grade.