What happens if the weather is bad?
If there is snow on the ground in the morning, or the roads seem dangerously icy, school may start 2 hours late or be cancelled. Those decisions will be made and available to the public by 6:00 a.m. Activate your School Messenger account with your email address to check and adjust your communication settings!What about Boys & Girls Club and other childcare providers? Many of them adjust their schedules to align with what we decide in response to bad weather, but check with your provider to make sure of their policies.No School Messenger account? Not a parent but still want to know when there's a school closure/delay? Subscribe to by creating an account on Flash Alert >>If no announcements are made, then our schools are operating normally.
Inclement Weather Closure / Delay
The information will be sent through:
Please remember that road conditions vary in different parts of Thurston County, and that neighboring school districts make their own decisions about whether to run their schools late or cancel school.
- On our website: http://nthurston.k12.wa.us
- School Messenger: More information
- Flash Alert Service: http://flashalert.net
- Social Media: District Facebook Page | Twitter
- Local news and radio stations
- The NTPS 24-Hour Information Line: (360) 412-4401
What is a two-hour delay?
- School starts two hours later than the normal start time and dismisses at the normal time. For example, high school would start at 9:30, middle school would start at 11:20, and elementary would start at 10:10, 10:15, 10:25, 10:40 or 10:50.
- When there is a 2-hour delay, there will be no transportation for New Market Skills Center, no transportation for Preschool (and no Preschool classes) and no out of district transportation.
- If we have to run 2 hours late on an early release day, all school schedules revert to normal school-day schedules.
- When school is canceled, most after-school activities, such as athletics, are canceled as well. This decision is determined by district administration.