Homeless Assistance / McKinney-Vento Act
Contact:Brenda McAferty, Homeless Liaison, (360) 412-4902 (Office) or (360) 561-2095 (Cell)Deanna East, Student Navigator, (360) 529-9625 (serving RRHS)Jennifer Gould, Student Navigator, (360) 529-9219 (serving THS)Lorin Griffitts, Student Navigator, (360) 515-1920 (serving NTHS/SSHS)OSPI McKinney Vento Program, (360) 725-6505
Does Your Child Qualify for Services?A student is considered "homeless" if they are presently living:
- In a motel/hotel, camping ground, or similar situation due to lack of alternative, adequate housing
- In a shelter
- Sharing housing with relatives or others due to lack of housing
- At a train or bus station, park, or in a car
- In an abandoned building
- Not living with a parent or guardian
All Homeless Students Have Rights To:
- Immediate school enrollment - even if they lack health, immunization or school records, proof or guardianship, or proof or residency.
- Enroll in the school he or she attended when permanently housed; or, attend the school where he or she was last enrolled; or, enroll in the school district where he or she is currently living.
- Remain enrolled in his/her selected school for as long as he/she remains homeless, or if the student becomes permanently housed, until the end of the academic year.
- Priority in certain preschool programs. Parents or guardians are encouraged to seek enrollment in these programs.
- Receive free meals at school.
- Participate in tutoring and school-related activities.
- Obtain information regarding free services including clothing and medical.
- Transportation Services: A homeless student attending his/her school of origin has a right to transportation to go to and from the school of origin as long as he/she is homeless or, if the student becomes permanently housed, until the end of the academic school year.
Community ResourcesCommunity Youth Services (360) 943-0780 Ext. 170Family Support Center (360) 754-9297Olympia Union Gospel Mission - Dental Clinic (360) 943-6400Sacred Heart Emergency Services (360) 923-0929SafePlace 24 Hours (360) 754-6300Salvation Army (360) 352-8596Thurston County Coordinated Entry Shelter & Housing Hotline (844) 628-7343Thurston County Food Bank - Corner of Thurston & Franklin - M/W/F 1-3 pm (360) 352-8597For additional resources please contact the Crisis Clinic of Thurston and Mason Counties at 360-586-2800.
McKinney-Vento ActThe McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Act is Title X, Part C of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2001. This legislation ensures that children and youth experiencing homelessness have full and equal access to an appropriate public education and that they experience success in school. http://www.k12.wa.us/HomelessEd/Posters.aspx
HOPE Community Donations
NTPS keeps a HOPE account with community donations that can be accessed for a variety of student's needs such as clothing, school supplies, hygiene supplies, etc. Families can contact their school counselor or the McKinney-Vento office for additional information.This account is solely supported by community donations. If you are interested in making a cash donation, please contact Kristi Ashmore in Financial Services (360) 412-4437.
The McKinney Vento office, located in the Raj Manhas Activity & Family & Youth Resource Center, 200 Sleater Kinney Rd NE, Lacey has a satellite clothing & hygiene bank, as well as school supplies for families in need. Please use the entrance facing Martin Way and park in the large parking lot. If your child attends North Thurston Public Schools and are in need, we are able to assist. Please contact the McKinney Vento office at (360) 412-4902.We accept donations of gently used clothing. Items must be clean and in good condition. If you are interested in donating, please contact our office Monday thru Friday 8:00 – 3:00.We also accept donations of school supplies.The following is a list of items highly requested:
- Large Scissors
- Composition Books (wide and college ruled)
- Mechanical Pencils
- Pencil Sharpeners
- Broad Tip Markers (Crayola)
- Dry Erase Markers
- Baby Wipes
- Hand Sanitizer