Facilities Rental Rules & Regulations
Read through the following rules & regulations before starting the rental reservation process.
- The contact person submitting the application for use of NTPS facilities must be 18 years or older and will be considered the representative of the organization and will be responsible for recoverable fees/costs associated with the use of district facilities.
- District facilities may be used for open meetings subject to the policies of the district. District functions shall have priority over community requests for facility use.
- Applications for all uses of facilities by “non-school groups” shall be submitted to the building principal who shall determine the availability of facilities desired and acquaint the applicant with the existing policies, regulations, and service charges. The principal is authorized to approve a waiver of fee for applications. The Superintendent or designee possesses the authority to make the final decision on the use of school facilities by a group. Applications requiring a facility or personnel charge or a request for revenue-raising activities shall be approved by both the principal and the Superintendent or designee and must be received at least seven (7) days prior to facility use.
- A single application may be made for a series of meetings of like character.
- The district reserves the right to cancel any permit, and refund the unearned portion of any payment made when it deems such action is in the best interest of the district.
- The applicant shall give at least two (2) days' notice to the principal or the Superintendent or designee of any cancellation of previously scheduled facility use. In case of failure to do so, the district reserves the right to assess a cancellation fee.
- The district reserves the right to reject any application when it believes a commercial facility would be more appropriate.
- No use of buildings or grounds will be granted if the primary purpose is for private/commercial gain or advertising purposes unless approved by the Superintendent or designee.
- All building use permits shall expire at the close of the school year. Applications for the use of school buildings during summer, holidays, or vacations must be approved by the principal prior to school closure.
- There shall be satisfactory sponsorship and adequate adult supervision, including police and fire protection surveillance, when deemed necessary by the principal.
- The Applicant/Organization shall not practice discrimination of any kind.
Conditions & Responsibilities
- Alcohol, drugs, and weapons are not allowed on district property at any time. (RCW 28A.600.010).
- Smoking and the use of tobacco products are prohibited on NTPS property. “Tobacco Products” shall include but are not limited to cigarettes, cigars, smoking tobacco, smokeless tobacco, nicotine, electronic devices, and any other smoking equipment, material, or tobacco innovation. (RCW 28A.210.310).
- The district prohibits the use of open flames, candles, and fires of any type inside or outside the facilities.
- Keys to buildings or facilities will not be issued to any individual or group for entering the building for meetings or social gatherings. Doors will be opened by custodians or other authorized district personnel.
- A district employee or an adult agreeable to the district shall be present at all times when a district building is in use by any group and the employee, or agreed-upon adult, will be responsible for closing and securing the building after use. A custodian is required to be in the building at all times when the use of the furnace is required.
- The custodians on duty are in complete charge of the building and/or facilities and have authority for decisions concerning school use, except when another employee has been placed in charge.
- All people are to be only in the area specified in the agreement for facility use.
- All meetings shall terminate and rooms to be vacated by 10 p.m. on school nights unless otherwise approved by the building supervisor.
- Prior to leaving the building, organizations granted a waiver of fees shall be responsible to clean and put in order those areas used by them. All applicants may be held responsible for any expenses incurred by the district arising from the use of a facility. In the event of damage, each applicant agrees to pay promptly the district’s statement of the amount due.
- Facilities will not be made available for any use which might result in undue damage or wear.
- School equipment cannot be used except with special permission from the principal. No equipment or furniture shall be removed from a facility without prior approval from the building supervisor.
- Prior approval from the building supervisor will be required before decorations or other materials may be applied to walls or floors. Applicants are required to remove said decorations, materials, etc., at their own expense.
- Applicants will be directed to the Director of Food and Nutrition Services for instructions on the use of kitchens and equipment. In some cases, a food service employee may need to be present. Kitchens shall not be entered by a group prior to the scheduled time on school days unless prior approval is granted by the building supervisor. Rules posted in kitchens governing the use by any group shall be observed.
- Gym shoes may be required for activity-type games such as basketball, volleyball, and badminton.
- The applicant shall be responsible for all persons’ compliance with the school district’s rules during the applicant’s use of the facilities.
- There will be no community dances in district facilities for revenue raising purposes, except those sponsored by Parent-Teacher-Student (PTA) Associations or those under the auspices of the Community Enrichment Program.
- Games of chance and lotteries will not be allowed in district facilities. “Amusement games” as defined by state law are permitted at school – and PTA-approved functions when licensed as provided by law.
- Motor vehicles are to be parked in designated areas only.
- No one is allowed to use district climbing walls unless the PE teacher is present to supervise.
- An adult supervisor must be present during the time a weight room is being used.
- Accessing the network or internet on privately-owned equipment is strictly prohibited.
- Community use of technology equipment must be scheduled with NTPS technology helpdesk prior to the date of rental, call 360-412-4515.
- Applicant agrees to obtain, prior to its use of the facilities, liability insurance with minimum benefits of $1,000,000 liability and $100,000 property damage, together with a certificate of such insurance specifically naming North Thurston Public Schools as an insured party and acknowledging the foregoing hold harmless agreement.
- The applicant understands and agrees that this permit may be revoked or canceled at any time with or without cause and the applicant shall have no claim or right to damages or reimbursement for any loss, damage, or expense resulting from such revocation or cancellation.
- The applicant accepts the conditions and status of the above-mentioned facilities. Applicant agrees that the school district and school district’s agent, employees, and directors shall not be liable for any damage to a person or property by reason of the negligent acts of the applicant, its agents, employees, invitees, or subcontractors. Applicant agrees to protect, indemnify for costs, legal and other expenses and hold harmless the school district and its officers, employees, directors, and agents from all claims, liabilities, or suits arising out of injury to person or property from negligent acts of the applicant, its agents, employees, invitees or subcontractors.