Teen Writing & Cover Art Contest
For grades 6-12, sponsored by Timberland Regional Library, NTPS, City of Lacey, and community partners.
Donna Barba Higuera, this year's best-selling guest author, integrates Spanish vocabulary into many of her stories. All contest entries should explore, include, or reflect on themes of language and communication, and how the language(s) we speak inform our identity/ies. All entries should be submitted with an all-ages audience in mind.
Entry Deadline: January 13, 2024
Contest Rules & Guidelines
Donna Barba Higuera, this year's best-selling guest author, integrates Spanish vocabulary into many of her stories. All contest entries should explore, include, or reflect themes of resilience and how we (or characters) cope during difficult times or experiences. All entries should be submitted with an all-ages audience in mind.
- Each submission must be the creative and original work of a single author/artist. No AI-generated work will be accepted.
- Limit one entry per category (short story, poetry, or cover art) per contestant.
- Entrants must attend North Thurston Public Schools or live within the NTPS boundary area.
- Private or homeschool students may enter as long as they live in the NTPS service area.
- Limited to amateur (unpublished) authors. Authors who have self-published their own works for free distribution may participate.
- Short Story entries must be 2,000 words or less. Suggested formatting: Double-spaced pages in Arial or Times New Roman, 12-point font.
- Poetry entries must be 30 lines or less.
- Each page must include a header with Title, Category, Grade, and page numbers on far right (ex. My Great Poem, Poetry, Grade 6, p.1)
- No handwritten entries will be accepted.
- Cover Art entries must be in portrait orientation on a single 8.5 in X 11 in. sheet, and if digital, should have a resolution of 300 dpi, and be created in ink, paint, or digitally (again, no AI).
- Contest submissions are non-returnable.
- Timberland Regional Library and the member organizations of Lacey Loves to Read reserve the right to reproduce your work. You can reuse all your work after February 29, 2024.
- Entries may be submitted to the Lacey Timberland Library or Hawks Prairie Timberland Library no later than 6:00 pm on Saturday, January 13, 2024.
Complete the entry/creative works release form. Include your name, your parent/guardian’s name, grade, contact information, and appropriate signature(s). Tip: If you're an NTPS student, don't try to share a Google document! NTPS has security settings which prevent those submissions from getting through.
- Save your Writing entry in a WORD document or in .rtf file format. (rich text format) with the title [Category][Title] in the filename (ex. ShortStoryTheStrongestGirlIKnow.docx)
- Save your Cover Art entry in a .JPG, .TIF, or .PNG file format.
- Scan your completed entry form and save it as a .PDF file with the Category and Entrant's Name as the filename (ex. ShortStoryRainaSedore.pdf)
- The email subject line must say: LLTR 2024 [Category] [Creator Name] (ex. LLTR 2024 Short Story Raina Sedore)
- Attach your writing/cover art file and your entry form file to the email.
- Send the email to rsedore@TRL.org
- Print out or type your writing entry on 8.5 X 11 white copy paper, double-spaced, 12 pt font, one side of paper only. Staple your entry with one staple in the upper left corner, or use a small binder clip.
- Print out or create your cover art entry on 8.5 X 11 white paper, portrait orientation. Color or black & white entries are acceptable.
- Enclose your completed entry form and your entry in a manila envelope marked Attn: Raina Sedore, LLTR 2024 Writing & Cover Art Contest
- Turn in your envelope at the Lacey Timberland Library at 500 College Street SE or the Hawks Prairie Timberland Library at 8205 Martin Way E Suite B during open hours.
Writing entries in each category will be judged on excellence in elements such as characterization, plot, setting, and theme (for short stories) and language, flow, impact, and theme (poetry). First, 2nd, and 3rd prizes may be given in each category. Prize packs will include a book by Donna Barba Higuera, a Friends of the Lacey Timberland Library book bag, & a VISA gift card.
Cover Art entries will be judged on originality, technique, clarity, and appropriate reflection of the overall theme(s). The winning entry will be featured as the cover of the Lacey Loves to Read 2024 eBook & will receive a Prize Pack (book by Donna Barba Higuera, Friends of the Lacey Timberland Library book bag, & a VISA gift card.)
Winning entries will also receive
Publication in and a copy of the Lacey Loves to Read 2024 PDF eBook, available for download at the website for Lacey Timberland Library and linked on the Lacey Loves to Read website.
(Finalists will be notified no later than Friday, February 2, 2024).