Welcome to Band and Orchestra!
South Bay 5th Grade Band and Orchestra
Band and Orchestra classes begin Monday, September 28th.
Mr. Johnson and Mr. Sears will meet with 5th grade students on Thursday, September 17th at 2:00pm. A link to the meeting will be provided by your classroom teacher.
Monday and Wednesday 2:00-2:30 Flutes (Band) and Violins (Orchestra)
Monday and Wednesday 2:30-3:00 Clarinets (Band) and Violas (Orchestra)
Tuesday and Thursday 2:00-2:30 Trumpets (Band) and Cellos (Orchestra)
Tuesday and Thursday 2:30-3:00 Trombones (Band)
If you are interested in one of these instruments, go to the band page for demos and more information.
If you are interested in one of these instruments, go to the orchestra page for more information.
Grant Sears, Orchestra
Room: #140 - Orchestra Room
Welcome back to the start of Fall 2020 and Remote Continuous Learning 2.0.
A couple of things to remember:
1) Let's adopt the attitude that we are all going to take this seriously and will do the very best that we can.
2) Students will need to take on more responsibility in high school. I can't do it all for you, neither can mom or dad. We need your help.
3) Even when things get really frustrating, don't give up! Take a break, and then come back and try again.
I wish you all the best of luck this year. Take care and we will see you soon
I am in my 36th year of teaching, 35 of which have been in the North Thurston Public Schools. I presently teach orchestra at North Thurston High School, South Bay, and Pleasant Glade schools. I have a bachelor of Music from Washington State University (Yes I'm a Coug!) and a Master of Arts in Music from Pacific Lutheran University. I absolutely love teaching orchestra and strive to instill a love and commitment for playing a stringed instrument throughout a student's life. I do this by modeling excellence through positive energy, commitment toward my students, and dedication to the craft of teaching. My lovely wife, Cheryl, is a 4th grade teacher at Evergreen Forest elementary. She is an amazing person and is always an inspiration to me. I also have 2 beautiful grown daughters, Jessica and Christine, who are equally amazing people.
- Jazz Band - period 0 (7:30-8:15 T, Th during remote learning)
- Symphonic Band - period 1 (8:55-9:40 M, W during remote learning)
- Concert Band - period 2 (9:50-10:35 M, W during remote learning)
- Ninth Grade Band - period 4 (8:55-9:40 T, Th during remote learning)
- Office Hours (1:00-2:00 M, T, W, Th, F during remote learning)
- South Bay Elementary 5th Grade Band (2:00-3:00 M, T, W, Th during remote learning)
Teacher - North Thurston Public Schools 1996 - presentTeacher of the Year - Chinook Music Educators Association 2018
Oregon Band Directors Association - 6A Certified Adjudicator 2011-2015, 2016-2020
Educator of Excellence - Washington State University 2006
Teacher of the Year - North Thurston High School 2005, 1999
Best of Western Washington - Best Teacher - King5 Evening Magazine 2003
Master of Music - University of Arizona 1995
Bachelor of Music - Washington State University 1992
Composition Studies - Charles Argersinger, Daniel Asia, William Penn, Greg Yasinitsky
Conducting Studies/Clinics - Eugene Corporon, Dennis Fisher, Michael Haithcock, David Holsinger, Keating Johnson, Gillian MacKay, Sarah McKoin, Allan McMurray, Gerard Morris, H. James Schoepflin, Jack Stamp, Robert Taylor, Mallory Thompson
Clarinet Studies - Jerry Kirkbride, H. James Schoepflin
Publications - More Than Just Minutes: Using Practice Charts as Tools for Learning, Music Educators Journal 2009