K-1 Identification ProcessStudents already enrolled in kindergarten or first grade may participate in the highly capable identification process in the fall of each school year. This comprehensive identification process uses multiple, objective assessments.
AssessmentAssessments used for placement in this program are:
- Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) Form 7 Screener and Post-Screener (administered paper/pencil)
- the CogAT is designed to measure a student's learned reasoning abilities in the three areas most linked to academic success: verbal, quantitative and non-verbal. Please click here for more information.
- Students will initially be administered the CogAT Screener (Phase I) which consists of the first sub-test in each area. Students who meet the initial criteria for his/her grade level, will be invited back to complete the CogAT Post Screener (Phase II) which consists of the remaining six sub-tests in the assessment.
- HOPE Teacher Rating Scale
- the HOPE Teacher Rating Scale is designed to help guide teachers in identifying highly capable students.
SelectionA multi-disciplinary selection committee will review the collected assessment data and make placement decisions. Services will commence in the current school year.
Exit Process and AppealsFor information on the exit process and/or appeals, please refer to the Highly Capable Program Forms page.
Last Modified on November 2, 2020