Teen Create-Your-Own Graphic Novel Contest
If you are in grade 6 -12 and love to draw and write, you are invited to enter the Teen Create-Your-Own Graphic Novel Contest as part of 2019 Lacey Loves to Read. This contest is sponsored by the Lacey Loves to Read member organizations of Timberland Regional Library, North Thurston Public Schools, City of Lacey, and many community partners. The contest will be open for entries from November 1, 2018 through December 15, 2018. No entries will be accepted after 5pm on December 15, 2018. The deadline has been extended to January 19, 2019!!!Kazu Kibuishi, this year’s award-winning LL2R featured author, is best known for his New York Times best-selling series Amulet, featuring themes of self-discovery, finding the courage to face challenges, and the importance of teamwork and family. All contest entries should explore, include, or reflect one of these themes. All entries should be submitted with an all-ages audience in mind.
Deadline: Dec 15, 2018! January 19, 2019No entries accepted after 5pm Jan 19!
- Create your own comic book not to exceed 5 letter-size pages (8.5 X 11 inch sheet), including the cover page. Maximum number of comic panels per page is 9. All text, line art, and colors must be inked, painted, or digitally produced. Works in pencil will be disqualified.
- Use letter-size paper (8.5X11inches) with drawings and text on one side only.
- Each submission must be the creative and original work of the author/illustrator.
- Team submissions (multiple author/illustrators) per entry are allowed. However, only one prize will be issued per winning entry.
- Contest limited to amateur (unpublished) authors/illustrators only. Authors/illustrators who have self-published their own works for free distribution may participate.
- Computer generated images are acceptable as long as they are original artwork. (No clip art, or photographs unless you took the picture.)
- Contest submissions are non-returnable. Consider submitting entry electronically, or a photocopy that is an accurate reflection of the original.
- Submit entries electronically (preferred method) as an attachment (PDF or JPEG file format) to Holly Paxson at hpaxson@TRL.org. Free scanning to email is available at the Lacey Timberland Library. Hard-copy entries may be dropped off or mailed to Holly Paxson Lacey Timberland Library 500 College Street SE Lacey, WA 98503.
- Timberland Regional Library and the member organizations of Lacey Loves to Read reserve the right to reproduce your work. You can reuse all your work after the contest.
- Complete and submit the entry/creative works release form with the entry. Include your name, your parent/guardian’s name, age, contact information and appropriate signature(s).
- Entries may be submitted to the Lacey Timberland Library no later than 5pm on December 15, 2018 January 19, 2019.
- Limit one entry per contestant(s).
Entries will be judged on content and illustrations by a panel of Lacey Loves to Read committee members and local comic industry professionals. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be awarded prizes in each of two categories:
- Middle School/Jr. High (grades 6-8)
- High School (grades 9-12)
- 1st place - $100 Amazon gift card
- 2nd place - $50 Amazon gift card
- 3rd place - $25 Amazon gift card
All prize packages will also include:
- Gift certificate to Olympic Cards & Comics
- PDF ebook of winning graphic novel entries
- Free book by and invitation to meet Lacey Loves to Read 2019 featured author Kazu Kibuishi at the LL2R VIP Celebration on Wednesday, February 20 6:00pm at Lacey Timberland Library (500 College St. SE in Lacey).