Welcome to North Thurston High School!
Welcome to North Thurston High School! We opened in 1955 and are a comprehensive high school that serves 9th through 12th grade in Olympia and Lacey, Washington. We have an award-winning staff and a slew of unique programs and opportunities for students. Go Rams!
Unique things we do at North Thurston
- Advanced Placement and advanced/honors classes in 12 areas in over 35 sections with half of our students enrolled
- Math peer tutoring program
- Award-winning marching band
- English Language Learners program serves students district-wide
- College in the High School classes offering college credit
- The Renaissance Leadership program provides academic and student recognition programs
- 2009, 2013, and 2014 Washington Achievement Award Winners
- Award-winning Library and Information program
- Community service clubs partner with local Rotary, Kiwanis, MADD, Thurston Together, United Way of Thurston County, and Project Zero
- Military Support Group supports students of active duty military members and works in connection with JBLM
- Our Career and Technical Education programs connect students with industry leaders
- AVID program to prepare students for college readiness and success; is offered at each grade level.
Academic Gap Goal:
- Increase the percentage of students who state in the CEE data that they know the purpose of each lesson, from a 48% positive response (spring 2022) to a 68% positive response (spring 2023).
Behavior / SEL Gap Goal:
- The spring CEE data will go from 9% (spring 2022) to 3% (spring 2023) for students who respond “disagree” or “strongly disagree” to the statement, “In this school, there is at least one adult who knows and cares about me.”
Download the whole School Improvement Plan >> (PDF) Updated spring 2023
North Thurston High School is a community of learners committed to individual excellence. We empower learners by fostering an environment that promotes intellectual and emotional growth. We believe in equity and unity while celebrating diversity. We are a safe and caring community where all strive to learn, grow, and achieve.
North Thurston High School was built in 1954 on 38.4 acres. It is located at 600 Sleater-Kinney Road NE in Lacey.
By 1967, the auto shop and pool were added, followed by the library in 1972.
From 1983-1984, the building was completely demolished and rebuilt, except for the library, auto shop, and pool. The auditorium, known today as the Koval Center for the Performing Arts, was added in 1995.
A technology upgrade was completed in 1996 and an HVAC upgrade was completed in 2000. In 2003, utilizing bond and state assistance funds, the pool was modernized, due in part to severe structural earthquake damage. In 2009, the pool boiler was upgraded. Exterior building upgrades of the Koval Center were completed in 2010 utilizing state grant funds. In 2011, energy-efficient lighting upgrades were completed in the gym utilizing state energy grant funds. The 175,459 square foot building, including 67 instructional spaces, plus 16 portable classrooms serve ninth through twelfth grade.
As part of the 2014 Bond, a complete modernization was completed with an updated main building, separated bus loading area, art installation, walkways, and more.