Welcome to Salish Middle School!
What makes us unique at Salish?
- Student Voice – At Salish Middle School we encourage authentic, school wide voice to support and increase the academic and social success of all of our students. We value the strong partnerships we have between students and staff. Numerous students participate in student leadership class and in student leadership known as Associated Student Body (ASB). These students take pride in supporting numerous activities such as our Food to Flowers Program, Student Recognition Assemblies, Student activities during lunch and the complete operation of our Student Store.
- College and Career Readiness – Today’s workplace requires that all employees be lifelong learners in order to advance their careers. We have a robust advisory program which meets daily for 30 minutes and supports students’ growth and awareness of pathways for success in high school and beyond. Students engage in career interest surveys and goal setting to discover some of the possibilities open to them. In addition, our Career Technical Education (CTE) courses also offer students the opportunity to engage in 21st century skills which integrate technical knowledge and core academic knowledge and emphasize real life skills. We are proud to offer horticulture, robotics, wild foods and medicine, computer science, coding and technical arts.
- Our partners in education (PIE) are SCJ Alliance, Back Door Bakery and State Farm. All of these agencies support both students and staff and provide valuable learning and exposure to numerous professions.
- We are proud to be in our third year of being an AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) school. In addition to a specific AVID class we embrace these proven strategies which focus on a more equitable and student centered approach school wide. AVID provides classroom activities, teaching practices and academic behaviors that we incorporate into all classrooms to improve engagement and success for all students.
Academic Gap Goal:
- The percentage of Hispanic students meeting proficiency on the Smart Balanced ELA Reading Assessment will increase by 10% in the 6th grade and 5% in 7th and 8th grade in the spring of 2020.
Behavior Gap Goal:
- Reduce the average number of Office Referrals for disruptive behavior for all students by 5% monthly. In September there have been an average of 11 referrals daily logged into SWIS. In addition, to reduce the number of office
referrals for our Hispanic students by 10% for the school year 2019-20. Last year our Hispanic population was 21% of the Salish community and the percentage of referrals received was 37%.
We encourage family participation at Salish Middle School. We have an active volunteer coordinator and numerous options to be involved. In addition, we have begun a family advisory board which meets monthly to provide information to the school and to learn more about the programs and events at our school.
To volunteer at Salish, fill out an application online.
Mission: The Salish Middle School Community, dedicated to inspiring success by cultivating a foundation of achievement through critical thinking, collaboration, persistence and compassion.
Salish's Building History
Salish Middle School was built in 2016 on 19.13 acres. It is located at 8605 Campus Glen Drive NE in the Meridian Campus Development within the City of Lacey. Construction of Salish started in 2015 utilizing a 2014 voter-approved construction bond including State assistance funding. The 109,000 square foot middle school has 47 instructional spaces and has capacity for 800 students. The building design incorporates current classroom technology and extensive daylighting features throughout the facility. Salish serves 6th, 7th and 8th grade.