Welcome to South Bay Elementary!
South Bay Elementary opened its doors in 1949. We continue to foster a learning environment that encourages our Bruins to be kind, respectful, responsible, and engaged. We strive to foster learning in a positive, exciting way!
The goal here at South Bay is to foster learning excitingly so that students achieve their fullest potential. Creativity is nurtured, individuality is respected, and each child gains a feeling of self-worth and accomplishment. Welcome to the home of the Bruins!
What makes us unique
South Bay students have the opportunity to experience a wide variety of programs and activities.
Our hallways become an “Arts Walk” throughout the year as student work is showcased! Our music students perform at assemblies, special celebrations and each grade level has a unique performance during the year. In PE, the spirit of teamwork and a lifelong love of physical activity is the emphasis. The library is the place where we find meaningful books, learn to research and use technology for learning. We are so lucky to have specialists in these areas!
Other unique programs include:
- BEAR Reading Month
- Band & Orchestra for 5th graders
- After-school choir program
- Positive Behavior Program (PBIS)
- Community service projects, which in the past have included Jump Rope for Heart, Thurston County Food Bank drive, Holiday Help, and a book drive for the Reading Foundation.
Academic Gap Goal:
- Overall reading risk for K-2 students identified as low-income will be reduced from 54% in the spring of 2023 to 75%, reducing the current gap between non-low-income peers to 10% or less, by the spring of 2024 as measured by easyCBM benchmark assessments.
Behavioral or Social-Emotional Learning Gap Goal:
- Chronic and At-Risk attendance rates will decrease from 69% in the spring of 2023 to pre-COVID rates of 45% or lower by the spring of 2024, as measured by district attendance data.
Download the complete School Improvement Plan >> (PDF) Updated fall 2023
Be kind, be respectful, be responsible, be engaged, be safe!
South Bay Building History
South Bay Elementary was built in 1949 on 17 acres. It is located at 3845 Sleater-Kinney Road NE, in a rural setting. In 1981, the original building was demolished, and a new building was attached to the 1976 addition. In 2000, the older wing was modernized, the entire building was reroofed, and upgrades were made to the library and administration area. An 8-classroom modular building was added in 2008. In 2008-2009, a major modernization to the building and campus, including additions was completed, utilizing 2006 bond and state assistance funds. All mechanical, electrical and technology were replaced or upgraded. The fire suppression system utilizes three 35,000 gallon tanks repurposed from the old Olympia Brewery. The 46,278 square foot building, including 27 instructional spaces, plus 16 portable classrooms (including 8-classroom modular building) serve kindergarten through fifth grade.